Friday, April 25, 2014

Spiked Poke Cake

Happy Friday!
I have been wanting to share this recipe & why not celebrate the weekend with cake...

I have realized in the last year or so that I LOVE to bake! I've been trying new things.  Scratch cake...have not tried to tackle that quite yet. But experimenting with box cake has been fun!  Then I went & discovered Knox gelatin....mind blown! I figured this has to be the perfect addition to the Poke Cake!  My first attempt at poke cake was good.  I had just wished the cupcake hadn't gotten so soggy.  I had used my usual 1 C. hot water & 1 C. chilled vodka with my jello.  It was good, but I knew I could do better. Then Thanksgiving at my in-laws, we had Knox Blocks.  YES!  That is what a Jell-O jiggler was supposed to look like! I have had sorry attempts for the jigglers in my childhood.  We just didn't know about adding the gelatin.


I made it this last weekend for my Girls Weekend with my friends.  After the last few months we had, I needed this get away.  As our weekend approached, all the girls needed it.  I find it very necessary to go away with my friends at least once a year.  Everyone's lives are so busy now, we need a weekend to just unwind & as my friend Erin's mom says     "Let your hair down".   Erin's mom has the right philosophy there! LOVE that woman

Back to the cake....
Berry Lemonade Poke Cake




Bake the cake as directed.
I made the cake in round pans to layer.  I really wanted to have icing in the middle of the cake.  So I made 2 of the  7X7 round pans. I made them the night before we left & finished when we got down there.

Now for the jello mixture-
-1 box of jello
- 1 envelope of gelatin
- 1 C. boiling water
- 1 C. chilled vodka 

(Note-This recipe can be non-alcoholic.
Just add cold water instead of vodka)

Be sure to poke both cake(s) before you make the jello mixture.  By adding the gelatin really speeds up the gelling time & you don't want it to be too thick to put into the cake.  I use a straw to "inject" the cake.  I suppose one of these days a syringe would be a good investment. The straw works fine though.



One word for my Berry Lemonade Poke Cake.....AMAZING!
I highly recommend making this for an adult function or just a weekend (adult) dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment