Monday, June 24, 2013

At the pool with my 2 year old...

As we all know, no one can ever fully know what to expect with a toddler.
And being a first time mom, I had no idea our trips to the pool would be so different this year.  

Last year Mason was all about being held in the water, kicking away.  
This year, I felt like it took everything in me to coax this boy just close enough so I could put my legs in.  
Mind you, it is about 90 degrees & all I have been thinking about is breaking in my awesome 
new bathing suit from Lands End.


FYI-If you have a large chest, this is the bathing suit top for you!!!
It comes in cup sizes & has under-wire for extra support.
I don't like spending my day adjusting myself, hoping that one of the girls doesn't pop out.

Ok, back to the pool...
After today, I have learned that my trips to the pool will be MUCH different from now on
and I've learned that I am NOT a fan of "baby" pools.

Why you ask?
#1 Pee       We all know it happens. I witnessed my own kid take a #2 while wading around the 1 ft pee bath.  It definitely didn't make me feel better when a 4 yr old not wearing a swim diaper makes direct eye contact with me & says "I peed".  Thanks for the confirmation!

#2 Bugs     I am not a fan of them.  Living or dead.  Usually the ones in the little pool are in buggy heaven. 
I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. Creeps me out either way!

#3 Toys      I feel like I had to carefully investigate which toys Mason would like to play with.  All the while explaining to him that those boats & trucks weren't his, but I would be sure to get his very own next time.

#4 Parents    Some parents pay no attention to their children.  Maybe me being a first time mom, I am a little more observant than necessary.  But if your kid is throwing stuff & snatching things out of the other kids hands, maybe it's time for some discipline?

I felt like such a rookie!  
How did I know that trucks are just as cool cruising around the pool, as they are in dirt...
Pretend fishies are great & it is ok for the kids to squirt each other with water guns...
Back to basics, good 'ol fashion fun...I like it!

With a plan for tomorrows trip to the pool,
here is hoping that Mason warms up to the idea of the pool.

1 comment:

  1. We had a much better day 2 at the pool. It's amazing what a few toys from the Dollar General will do! All the kids had a blast playing with them. Lesson learned for this Mama!

    ReplyDelete